Flame Retardant Masterbatch
Flame retardants are added to plastics to increase resistance to ignition, reduce flame spread, suppress smoke formation, and prevent a polymer from dripping. The primary goal is to delay the ignition and burning of materials, allowing people more time to escape the affected area. Primex Color, Compounding & Additives produces a broad range of flame retardant additives and compounds.
Please consider the following questions when selecting a suitable flame retardant for your application:
- What is the resin type?
- What type of flame retardant is allowed? Halogenated? Non-halogenated?
- What standards must be met (i.e. UL94, FMVSS, ASTM, or NFPA)?
- If UL94, will it be HB, V-2, V-1, V-0, 5VB, or 5VA and at what part thickness?
- Are mechanical properties (i.e. tensile strength, elongation, flexural modulus, impact) important to the product?
- Will the product be exposed to sunlight (i.e. UV stability)?
Answering these questions in advance will help our Technical Team aid you in selecting the appropriate flame retardant for the application. Primex Color, Compounding & Additives flame retardant products are available in a multitude of chemistries, including halogenated or non-halogenated formulations, and can be customized for specific needs.
In general, their use is mandated by regulations in building codes or industry-specific standards. Typical applications include
- Building & construction
- Electrical and electronics
- and more!
Ready to Talk?
We work with ambitious leaders who want to define the future, not hide from it. Together, we achieve extraordinary outcomes.
"*" indicates required fields